Also referred to as “Agasthosma” is an essential oil known as Buchu. This essential oil is extracted from a plant known as Agasthosma belonging to the Rutaceae family in the “plantae” kingdom. Furthermore, this plant basically belongs to South Africa and comprises of two types namely the “Round Leaf Buchu” also known as “Agothosma Betulina or Barosma Betulina” and “Oval Leaf Buchu” which is also known as “Agothosma Crenulata or Barosma Crenulata”. In addition, this essential oil contains organic compounds that could be toxic and hence must be used with lots of care.
A. Chemical components of the Buchu Oil:
This oil is derived from a plant called “Agasthosma” which belongs to the genus in the “plantae” kingdom also known as “Agasthosma”. In addition, this plant basically belongs to the Rutaceae family.
B. The uses/benefits of the Buchu Oil:
An essential oil when used can be beneficial as well as have adverse effects on the body in equal measures. So here is presenting a list of benefits that the use of Buchu oil provides:
- Antiseptic: This oil comprises of components that comprise of “antiseptic” properties, and hence is useful in resolving issues related to treating wounds by destroying disease causing microorganisms.
- Anti-rheumatism: This oil comprises of organic compounds that possess medicinal properties that are capable of treating a condition known as rheumatoid arthritis. It does so by detoxifying the body via the removal of uric acid from the body.
- Carminative: This oil also possesses organic compounds that have “carminative” properties, and thereby help in the removal of formation gases from the stomach and intestines.
- Digestion: This oil also possesses medicinal properties that help in the normal functioning of the digestion process by stimulating the secretion of appropriate amount of digestive juices into the stomach.
- Diuretic: This oil also comprises of “diuretic” properties that help in flushing out wastes such as toxins like uric acid, excess salts and water from the body.
C. The adverse effects of the Buchu oil:
Apart from benefits there are also a few adverse effects that come along with the use of this oil, and they are as follows:
- Since this oil contains components that are highly toxic, care must be taken that it is used only in small doses.
- Like many other essential oils, this oil too could severely affect pregnancy, and hence pregnant women must avoid using it.