“Sweet birch” is a sobriquet that is given to the essential oil known as birch oil. This oil has been extracted from a hardwood tree known as birch and belongs to the Betulaceae family. Furthermore, this oil comprises of an extremely sweet “aroma”, and is used as an astringent. In addition, this oil possesses medicinal property that enables “body detoxification”. This oil is also used as a vital component in the manufacturing of leather in Russia.
A. Chemical constituents of Birch Oil:
This essential oil is basically extracted from a hardwood tree known as Birch and belongs to a genus known as “Betula” within the “plantae” kingdom. In addition, this oil also consists of a lot of phytochemicals and comprise of organic chemical compounds such as betulin and betulinic acid.
B. The uses/benefits of the Birch Oil:
There are a number benefits to using birch oil and they are listed below but one should also consider the adverse reactions or side effects reported from its use:
- Antiseptic: This oil comprises of “antiseptic” properties that destroys disease causing microorganism, and thereby helps in treatment of wounds.
- Antidepressant: This oil also comprises of medicinal properties that inhibit mental conditions such as anxiety disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder, depression etc, and thereby serves as an antidepressant.
- Analgesic: This oil comprises of curative properties that relieves pain experienced during headaches and toothaches.
- Antispasmodic: The oil comprises of medicinal properties that inhibit the spasms of the muscles, and thereby acts as an antispasmodic.
- Astringent: This oil also possesses powerful “astringent” properties, and therefore is extremely effective in reducing wrinkles and sagging of skin and muscles.
C. The adverse effects of the Birch oil:
Apart from the beneficial effects of the Birch oil there are also a few adverse effects which exists, and they are as follows:
- This oil basically consists of chemical compounds that could be toxic to the skin and cause irritation. Therefore this oil must be handled with care.
- As in the case of many other essential oils, Birch oil too severely affects pregnancy and hence pregnant women must avoid using it.