Derived from “camphorwood” is an essential oil commonly referred to as Camphor. This oil has been extracted from an “evergreen tree” known as Cinnamomum camphora belonging to genus Cinnamomum within the “plantae” kingdom. Furthermore, this oil is basically extracted from two types of trees namely the “Common Camphor Tree” also known as “Cinnamomum Camphora” and the “Borneo Camphor” also known as “Dryobalanops Camphora”. In addition, the oil obtained from both these tree differs from each other in aroma and in the concentration of the organic chemicals.
A. Chemical constituents of Camphor Oil:
This oil is extracted from an “evergreen tree” called Cinnamomum camphora. In addition, this oil comprises of volatile organic compounds such as borneol, pinene, camphene, terpene, and safrol.
B. The uses and benefits of Camphor Oil:
There are a number benefits to using this oil and they are listed below but one should also consider the adverse reactions or side effects reported from its use:
- Antiseptic: This oil comprises of chemical components that enable the killing of disease causing microorganisms, and thus serve as an antiseptic.
- Carminative: This oil also comprises of chemical components that help in clearing the gastric system from issues such as gas formation i.e. flatulence.
- Anesthetic: This oil contains chemical components that are capable of numbing down the sensory nerves, and thereby acting as an ideal anesthetic.
- Antispasmodic: The oil contains chemical components that inhibit spasms and cramps, and thereby serve as an ideal antispasmodic.
- Aphrodisiac: This oil also contains chemical components that stimulate sexual desire, and thus serves as an aphrodisiac.
C. The adverse effects of the Camphor oil:
Although, there are a few benefits to using this oil there also comes along with it certain side effects, and they are as follows:
- This oil is extremely toxic and therefore it would be advisable to use it in low dosages.
- As in the case of many other essential oils, camphor oil too severely affects pregnancy and hence pregnant women or women planning for pregnancy must avoid using it.