In the world of aromatherapy, Copaiba Oil is rapidly gaining popularity these days. Now, the question that you might ask is, what makes this oil so effective as a result popular? The answer to the question requires an analysis, and so here is presenting a feature article explaining in details facts about this oil which would in turn help explain its sudden increase in popularity.
a. What is Copaiba Oil?
Copaiba Oil is essentially derived from the resin of a tree. It possesses a typically ‘spicy and woody odor’. Historically speaking, this oil has been used since the 16th century as a part of traditional medicine in areas such as the north as well as in northeastern of Brazil. Furthermore, this oil is obtained from a tree belonging to the ‘Copaifera langsdorffii’ species. In addition, the extraction process used is called ‘steam distillation’. In terms of major organic component this oil comprises of a chemical known as ‘β-caryophyllene’.
b. What is Copaiba Oil used for?
Similar to other essential oils, Copaiba can be used for many purposes. They are as follows:
1. It can act as an antioxidant.
2. It can serve as an anti-anxiety agent.
3. When used internally it is useful in treating ailments related to the cardiovascular, immune, and the digestive, nervous, and respiratory systems.
4. It can also stimulate a clear, smooth complexion when applied to the skin.
5. Finally, it is also used in the manufacturing of cosmetic products such as soaps, creams, lotions, and perfumes.
c. How Copaiba Oil works:
There are several different ways by which this oil functions when used. Here is then presenting a few ways by which it affects the body.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Since the oil itself contains β-caryophyllene (an anti-inflammatory agent) when used it helps in suppressing inflammation.
- Protection of Liver: According to a study this oil when used is capable of protecting the liver from the damage caused by organic compounds like paracetamol.
- Treatment of infections: When used a study suggests that this oil helps in the treatment of skin infections such as acne problems by stimulate a clear, smooth complexion. It also helps in treating oral infections such as tooth decay.
- Anxiety: Also serves as an anti-anxiety agent and helps relieve anxiety.
- Immune System: Research also suggests that this oil when used is capable of treating autoimmune disease such as multiple sclerosis.
d. Is Copaiba Oil safe during pregnancy?
Generally speaking, many essential oils are not recommended to be used during pregnancy. However, Copaiba is one among a few oils that is okay to be used. A word of caution though would be to use it only after consulting with your physician. since the oil contains organic chemicals.