Extracted from the kernel or meat of a fruit is an essential oil known as Coconut Oil. This oil is basically extracted from a fruit of coconut palm belonging to the “Cocos nucifera” species within the plant kingdom. Furthermore, this oil is usually extracted using either a dry or wet process. In addition, a technique involving the use of enzymes such as alpha-amylase, polygalacturonases, and proteases is also used to extract this oil. This oil apart from being used in cooking especially while frying is also used as an alternative source of fuel in automobiles, trucks, and buses.
A. Chemical constituents of the Coconut Oil:
This oil is basically extracted from the fruit of coconut palm belonging to a species known as “Cocos nucifera” in the plant kingdom. Furthermore, this oil comprises of fat which includes saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. In addition, this oil also consists of vitamins in the form of E and K as well as minerals such as iron.
B. Uses and benefits of the Coconut Oil:
There are a number of benefits to using coconut oil. However, one should also consider the adverse reactions or side effects reported from its use:
- Hair care: This oil possesses properties that enables preventing loss of protein, and thereby helps nourishing hair and keeping it healthy and shiny.
- Skin care: By acting as a moisturizer this oil helps in treating skin related issues such psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema. Furthermore, this oil can be used even on dry skin.
- Digestion: This oil also comprises of medicinal properties that helps resolving a number digestion related issues such as the Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- Dental Health: Since this oil possesses a property capable of absorbing calcium, it helps in developing strong teeth and maintaining good dental health.
- Immunity: This oil also comprises of properties that help maintaining a good immune system since it consists of organic compounds such as lauric acid, caprylic acid that contain antibacterial and antifungal properties.
C. The adverse effects of the Coconut Oil:
There are a number of adverse effects that one could experience on using this oil. They are as follows:
- The excess use of oil especially in food leads to increased levels of cholesterol which in turn leads to various heart conditions.
- The use of this oil could also lead to diarrhea, and hence must be administered in the right dosage.
- The use of this oil could lead to allergies on the skin especially in those individuals who possess sensitive skin.
- The usage of this oil could also lead to headaches and can also cause liver damage, and hence must be used with care.