Prepared using what is known as “Bishop’s weed” is an essential oil known as Ajwain oil. This essential oil is derived from seeds known as Ajwain or Ajowan. Furthermore, this oil is produced using a technique known as “hydrodistillation”. In addition, this oil is basically colourless, possesses a strong odour, and comprises of a distinctive taste. The seeds (Ajwain) used to produce this oil includes mineral, fiber, moisture, calcium, iron, phosphorous, carotene, thiamine, niacin, and riboflavin.
A. Chemical components of the Ajwain oil:
The “Ajwain seeds” basically belong to the “Trachyspermum ammi” species within the kingdom plantae. In addition, Ajwain oil derived from the “seeds” comprise of thymol, gamma-terpinene, p-cymene, and about 20 terpenoids i.e. a class of organic chemicals.
B. The use/benefits of the Ajwain oil:
The Ajwain oil when used has a number of beneficial effects on a few human body systems and they are as follows:
- Gastrointestinal Tract: This essential oil possesses medicinal properties capable of resolving issues such as the development of flatulence. In addition, this oil also possesses anthelmintic properties which help destroy intestinal parasites present in the intestines.
- Respiratory system: Respiratory conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, whooping cough etc can be treated using this essential oil.
- Urinary system: This essential oil possesses a strong “diuretic” property, and hence is very helpful in treating urinary tract infections, and conditions such as kidney stones.
- Cardiovascular System: This essential oil also has a beneficial effect on the heart. Furthermore, when used it basically helps in improving the functioning of the heart beat from an “abnormal” state to a “normal” one.
- Reproductive System: This essential oil is known to possess “aphrodisiac” properties, and hence is helpful to both the male and female reproductive system. In addition, this oil works on the reproductive system by improving virility along with the secretions of estrogen and progesterone hormones.
C. The adverse effects of the Ajwain Oil:
The use of Ajwain Oil could lead to certain adverse effects. They are as follows:
- The essential oil could cause photosensitivity in a human being if not taken in the appropriate dosage.
- An overdose of this essential oil could also lead to acidity, burning sensation, and mouth ulcer.