“Oil of the angels” is how an essential oil known as Angelica is commonly referred to as. This oil is derived from Angelica a genus within the “plantae” kingdom comprising mainly of tall biennial and perennial herbs. Furthermore, the Angelica biennial and perennial herbs can be mainly seen in the northern hemisphere in countries such as Iceland and Greenland. In addition, the active ingredient of this oil is basically found in the roots and rhizomes of the herb Angelica.
A. Chemical components of the Angelica Oil:
This essential oil is derived from a genus of herbs known as “Angelica”. Furthermore, there are about 60 species of herbs belonging to this genus. In addition, this oil derived from the Angelica herb genus mainly comprises of an organic chemical compound known as “furanocoumarins”.
B. The uses/benefits of the Angelica Oil:
There are a number of benefits in applying Angelica oil. A few of these benefits are as follows:
- Carminative: This essential oil comprises of medicinal properties that helps in clearing out gas from the gastrointestinal system. In other words, this oil helps in dealing with gastric issues such as indigestion, flatulence, and nausea.
- Antispasmodic: This oil also possesses properties that are capable of suppressing muscle spasms, and thereby serve as an ideal antispasmodic.
- Diuretic: This oil also comprises of “diuretic” properties capable of removing excess fluids from the body. And so this oil is capable of treating conditions such as kidney stones, hypertension, gout, rheumatism, and arthritis.
- Hepatic system: This oil also comprises of properties that is capable of maintaining the liver system. Furthermore, this oil by stimulating secretions from the liver manages the entire system.
- Relaxant: This oil also comprises of “relaxant” properties which enables the body, mind, and nervous system to completely relax.
C. The adverse effect of the Angelica Oil:
There are a few adverse effects that application of this oil could cause, and they are as follows:
- This oil when used affects the nervous system and may cause irritation.
- It affects pregnant women so this oil must be avoided during pregnancy.
It also affects diabetic individuals and so people with diabetes must avoid using this oil.