Extracted from the “rhizome or tap root” of several species of a type of a herb called Ferula is an essential oil known as Asafoetida. This essential oil is derived from an herb called Asafoetida that grows to about 1 to 1.5 meters in length. Furthermore, this oil is obtained by steam distilling the gum acquired from the incisions made in the root of the herb/plant. In addition, this oil is pale yellow-golden yellow in colour and possesses an extremely “pungent and irritating” odour.
A. Chemical components of the Asafoetida Oil:
This oil is derived from an herb that belongs to a species known as “Ferula Asafoetida”. In addition, this essential oil comprises of organic compounds such as araesinotannols A and B, ferulic acid, and umbelliferone.
B. The use/benefits of the Asafoetida Oil:
There exist a few beneficial effects of this oil when used on the body. The effects are as follows:
- Anti-flatulent: This oil possesses curative properties that helps in resolving issues related to formation of gas within the gastrointestinal system.
- Antimicrobial: This oil also comprises of medicinal properties that helps in destroying disease causing microorganism, and acts as an ideal “antimicrobial” with relation to treatment of skin tissues.
- Laxative: This oil also comprises of medicinal properties that helps resolving bowel problems by stimulating proper bowel movements, and thereby serving as a Laxative.
- Anti-spasmodic: This oil also comprises of medicinal properties that help suppressing muscle spasms, and thereby severing as an anti-spasmodic.
- Anthelmintic: This oil also comprises of medicinal properties that help destroy parasites that inhibit the gastrointestinal system, and act as an anthelmintic.
C. The adverse effects of the Asafoetida Oil:
Apart from the benefits acquired from the use of Asafoetida Oil there also exists a few adverse effects. These effects are as follows:
- The use of this essential oil leads to heartburn or acidity formation in the stomach.
- The use of this essential oil also leads to frequent headaches.
- The use of this essential oil in rare cases could also result in diarrhea.
- The use of this essential oil could also cause uterine contractions which could unfortunately lead to a miscarriage in a woman.