Belonging to a genus termed as “Citrofortunella” within the plant kingdom is an essential oil known as Calamondin. This oil has been extracted from a species within the plant kingdom known as “Citrofortunella microcarpa”. Furthermore, this oil is basically extracted from a small shrub about 3 to 6 meters in height known as “Calamodin” using steam distillation process, cold press method, and centrifugal extraction. This shrub basically consists of leak stalks with wing like appendages and white or purple coloured flowers. It is often also used as substitute for lime or lemon essential oil.
A. Chemical constituents of the Calamondin Oil:
This oil is basically extracted from a shrub known as Calamondin belonging to a plant species known as “Citrofortunella microcarpa”. Furthermore, this oil basically comprises of high percentage of an organic compound called “Limonene” i.e. a colourless liquid hydrocarbon.
B. The uses and benefits of the Calamondin Oil:
There are a number of benefits one can acquire by using this essential oil. However, one should also consider the adverse reactions or side effects reported from its use:
- Antidepressants: Depression is a major health issue which can be resolved by using this oil since it possesses “antidepressant” properties.
- Anti-anxiety: This oil also comprises of medicinal properties that help in resolving anxiety issues, and thereby serve as an anti-anxiety agent.
- Antioxidant: This oil possesses curative properties that are capable of inhibiting the process of oxidation that cause damage to the skin. In other words, this oil helps in preventing the development of wrinkles.
- Deodorizer: “Bad odour formation” is what this essential oil is capable of masking. Furthermore, it inhibits odour by ensuring that the “armpits” of an individual remains dry.
- Exfoliator: This oil due to its high acid content acts by removing unwanted uppermost layer of dead cells thereby adding glow to the skin and serving as an ideal exfoliator.
C. The adverse effects of the Calamondin oil:
There are a couple of side effects that one may experience on using this oil. They are as follows:
- The use of this oil may severely affect pregnancy, and hence pregnant woman should avoid using it.
This oil usage may also cause skin irritation or allergies especially in individuals possessing sensitive skin.