Used mainly as a “flavouring agent” in food is an aromatic essential oil known as Caraway. This oil has been extracted from a biennial plant known as Caraway and is also referred to as “Meridian Fennel” or “Persian Cumin”. Furthermore, this oil apart from food is also used in the manufacturing of soaps, lotions, and perfumes. In addition, this oil consists of a “pungent anise like aroma”. In terms of the total production, the major producer of this essential oil (according to the 2011 statistics) was Finland supplying about 28% all over the globe.
A. Chemical constituents of the Caraway Oil:
This oil was extracted from a plant known as “Caraway” which belongs to the “Carum carvi” species within the plant kingdom. Furthermore, this oil mainly consists of organic compounds such as carvone, limonene, and anethole.
B. The uses and benefits of the Caraway oil:
There are number of benefits to be gained by using this essential oil. However, one should also consider the adverse reactions or side effects reported from its use:
- Antiseptic: This oil basically possesses “antiseptic” properties and enables clearing up of a wound by destroying disease causing microbes.
- Antispasmodic: This oil comprises of curative properties that inhibits muscle spasms, and thereby serves as an antispasmodic.
- Carminative: This oil can also act by resolving issues related to gas formation i.e. flatulence in the stomach, and thereby serves as a carminative.
- Antihistaminic: “Allergic reactions” can be resolved using this oil since it possesses “antihistaminic” properties.
- Galactogogue: “By increasing production of milk in mothers” this oil serves as an ideal “Galactogogue”.
C. The adverse effects of the Caraway Oil:
Apart from the benefits mentioned above there are a few adverse effects that one should take into account. They are as follows:
- This oil contains “neurotoxins” and hence its use could severely affect pregnancy. Therefore pregnant women must avoid using this oil.
- It could also cause skin irritation when applied, and so its use must be carefully monitored.
It could also cause issues such as drowsiness, nausea, and vomiting, and hence must be used wisely.